After looking at several options I settled with A2 hosting at around 12$/month but at least I have a bunch of domains on a single network wordpress installation and everything is working great.
Here’s the steps involved:
- Go to your CPanel and install WordPress from Softaculous (not the optimized version)
- Make sure it’s networking is turned on
- To add an existing domain go to CPanel-> Addon Domains and let’s add an alias to our domain like this:
- Then it will be automatically added to the DNS zone editor
- If you have the domain on another provider (mine’s godaddy for example) you’ll need to set the dns to point to A2
- Now back to your wordpress on A2 (yoursite/wp-admin). Go to My Sites, Network Admin->Sites
- Make sure that you have your main domain / a desired wordpress folder. This is a hack basically. The real wp network site will live in that folder
- The real trick happens in the Settings. The siteurl can be pointed to the actual domain we registered in the cpanel dns zone section
- Now the last step is to go to My Sites -> Settings -> Domains and add a unique id (number) and the new domain there (primary should be set to no):
All set. If you visit your domain you should see your wordpress blog. Enjoy!